Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions) and irritants. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
Mold and mildew need only a damp, moist environment and organic material to establish themselves and thrive. Roof and foundation leaks, high interior humidity, overflowing washing machines and more severe forms of flooding are common sources of moisture and are what causes mold in a house.
As mold grows, spores, cells, fragments, and unstable organic compounds can enter the air. They can produce allergens, irritants, and mycotoxins. Some of these can be toxic, especially to individuals who have a sensitivity to them.
Mold is composed of small strands called hyphae, which are threadlike filaments that group together to make mycelium. Mold can be a nuisance, but also has benefits in science and nature.
Mold is a type of fungus that causes food spoilage. It has a nasty taste and texture. Sometimes, mold may have white or green fuzzy spots, especially when it's growing on bread. Mold may only appear on the surface, but it has roots underneath.
Molds, like most fungi, break down plant and animal matter in the environment. They can grow almost anywhere there is moisture and organic material such as in soil, on foods and plants, and in people's homes. To reproduce, molds release spores, which can spread through air, water, or on animals.
Use undiluted white vinegar on hard surfaces in kitchens and baths. A bleach solution also works to kill mold. Mix one cup of bleach in a gallon of water, apply to the surface and don't rinse.
Molds are a natural part of the environment and can be found almost anywhere that moisture and oxygen are present. They belong to the kingdom Fungi and live in moist places such as soil, plants and dead or decaying matter.
“Every house, every environment has mold spores.” It becomes an issue when the concentration of mold spores in a home is greater than what is found outside. Mold needs three conditions to thrive: an ideal temperature, a source of food and moisture.
A quick test for mold can be done when you dip a swab in diluted bleach (1 part bleach, 16 parts water) and dab it on the wall. If the spot quickly lightens (or keeps coming back after cleaning), assume it's mold.
Household mold commonly is identified by a damp, muddy appearance, ranging in color from black, pink, orange, green, and white. 2) Let your nose lead the way. Besides seeing the presence of mold on bathroom walls and hiding under your sink, a musty or sour smell in your bathroom is a dead giveaway for mold growth.
A common way to check for mold is to smell for it. A “musty” smell in an area of your home is often an indicator that there is some kind of mold present. Symptoms like a persistent runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing and throat irritation could also be indicative of mold.
Mix baking soda with water, and spray the content on the moldy area. Scrub off the mold using a brush, then rinse and respray the surface, without scrubbing allow it to dry. Spay undiluted vinegar on moldy areas, do not rinse or wash off.
In some cases, mold in your home can make you sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma. Whether or not you're allergic to molds, mold exposure can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs. Here's what you can do to combat mold problems, and take care of yourself and your home.
They are found everywhere. They can grow on almost anything if it is moist enough. Inside your home molds grow quickly on damp surfaces like bathroom walls and trim around windows. Molds may look like furry growth, black stains, or specks of black, white, orange, green or brown.
To Prevent Mold Growth in Your Home
1) Baking soda (and elbow grease)
Feb 5, 2016
There's no evidence that mold causes cancer. If you're allergic to mold, your symptoms may be more severe, such as lung irritation.
It's also possible for mold to form a ball in your lungs. This condition is called aspergilloma when caused by an Aspergillus mold. The ball most often stays in your lungs but can lead to tissue damage. Symptoms commonly include shortness of breath, cough, or coughing up blood.
The mold spores can colonize (grow) inside lung cavities that developed as a result of chronic diseases, such tuberculosis, emphysema, or advanced sarcoidosis. The fibers of fungus might form a lump by combining with white blood cells and blood clots. This lump or ball of fungus is called an aspergilloma or mycetoma.
Here are 8 natural remedies to help eliminate the danger of black mold exposure:
Aug 13, 2019